Department Chair, Professor
Education Building 627
- Biological rhythms
- Body temperature regulation
- Sexual behavior
- Curriculum Committee Chair (Arts & Sciences), Boise State University, 2017-2019
- Department Chair (Psychological Science), Boise State University, 2014-2019
- Academic Dean, University of South Carolina Regional Campus, 2006-2014
- Faculty Senator, University of South Carolina Regional Campus, 2000-2007
- Coordinator, Biological Psychology Concentration, College of William & Mary, 1994-1996
- Member, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, College of William & Mary, 1992-1996
- University of Virginia, Chronobiology, Postdoc, 1990-1991
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Chronobiology, Postdoc, 1989
- University of California, Santa Barbara, Physiology, Postdoc, 1988
- University of California, Santa Barbara, Biopsychology, Ph.D., 1987
- University of São Paulo, Brazil, Psychology, M.A., 1983
- University of São Paulo, Brazil, Psychology, B.S., 1981
- Pontifical Catholic University, Brazil, Philosophy, B.A., 1981
- Boise State University, Professor, 2014-
- University of Messina (Italy), Affiliated Faculty Member, 2001-
- University of South Carolina, Professor, 2005-2013
- University of South Carolina, Associate Professor, 2002-2004
- University of South Carolina, Assistant Professor, 1999-2001
- College of William & Mary, Assistant Professor, 1992-1997
- Statistical Methods (1992- )
- General Psychology (1996- )
- Human Sexuality (2001- )
- Biological Rhythms (1992-1996)
- Biological Psychology (1992-2006)
- Sensation and Perception (1986-1995)
- Research Methods (1992-2006)
- Philosophy of Psychology (1986-1987)
- History and Systems of Psychology (1992-2006)
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Circadian Rhythms, since 2003
- Editor-in-Chief, Sexuality and Culture, since 2010 (Managing Editor 1996-2009)
- Scientific Advisory Board member, Acta Scientiae Veterinariae, since 2004
- Editorial Board member, Journal of Thermal Biology, since 2012
- Section Editor, BMC Physiology, 2011-2015 (Associate Editor 2005-2010)
- Editorial Board member, American Journal of Physiology: RICP, 1999-2001
- Refinetti, R., Earle, G., and Kenagy, G. J. (2019). Exploring determinants of behavioral chronotype in a diurnal-rodent model of human physiology. Physiology and Behavior 199: 146-153.
- Refinetti, R. and Kenagy, G. J. (2018). Circadian rhythms of body temperature and locomotor activity in the antelope ground squirrel, Ammospermophilus leucurus. Journal of Thermal Biology 72: 67-72.
- Enright, T. and Refinetti, R. (2017). Chronotype, class times, and academic achievement of university students. Chronobiology International 34: 445-450.
- Al-Haidary, A. A., Abdoun, K. A., Samara, E. M., Okab, A. B., Sani, M., and Refinetti, R. (2016). Daily rhythms of physiological processes in the dromedary camel under natural and laboratory conditions. Research in Veterinary Science 107: 273-277.
- Refinetti, R., Wassmer, T., Basu, P., Cherukalady, R., Pandey, V. K., Singaravel, M., Giannetto, C., and Piccione, G. (2016). Variability of behavioral chronotypes of 16 mammalian species under controlled conditions. Physiology and Behavior 161: 53-59.
- Wassmer, T. and Refinetti, R. (2016). Daily activity and nest occupation patterns of arboreal fox squirrels (Sciurus niger) throughout the year. PLoS One 11: e0151249.
- Sani, M., Refinetti, R., Jean-Louis, G., Pandi-Perumal, S. R., Durazo-Arvizu, R. A., Dugas, L. R., Kafensztok, R., Bovet, P., Forrester, T. E., Lambert, E. V., Plange-Rhule, J. and Luke, A. (2015). Daily activity patterns of 2316 men and women from five countries differing in socioeconomic development. Chronobiology International 32: 650-656.
- Refinetti, R. (2015). Comparison of light, food, and temperature as environmental synchronizers of the circadian rhythm of activity in mice. Journal of Physiological Sciences 65: 359-366.
- Refinetti, R. (2014). Relationship between circadian period and body size in the tau-mutant golden hamster. Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology 92: 27-33.
- Piccione, G., Gianesella, M., Morgante, M., and Refinetti, R. (2013). Daily rhythmicity of core and surface temperatures of sheep kept under thermoneutrality or in the cold. Research in Veterinary Science 95: 261-265.
- Refinetti, R. (2012). Integration of biological clocks and rhythms. Comprehensive Physiology 2: 1213-1239.
- Piccione, G., Giudice, E., Fazio, F., and Refinetti, R. (2011). Association between obesity and reduced body temperature in dogs. International Journal of Obesity 35: 1011-1018.
- Refinetti, R. (2010). Entrainment of circadian rhythm by ambient temperature cycles in mice. Journal of Biological Rhythms 25: 247-256.
- Kart Gür, M., Refinetti, R., and Gür, H. (2009). Daily rhythmicity and hibernation in the Anatolian ground squirrel under natural and laboratory conditions. Journal of Comparative Physiology B 179: 155-164.
- Piccione, G., Fazio, F., Caola, G., and Refinetti, R. (2008). Daily rhythmicity of glycemia in four species of domestic animals under various feeding regimes. Journal of Physiological Sciences 58: 271-275.
- Refinetti, R. (2007). Enhanced circadian photoresponsiveness after prolonged dark adaptation in seven species of diurnal and nocturnal rodents. Physiology and Behavior 90: 431-437.
- NSF Conference Grant, “Chronobiology Workshop, São Paulo, Brazil”, Co-PIs: Horacio de la Iglesia and Roberto Refinetti, August 2015 to January 2016
- NSF Research Grant, “Homeostatic and Circadian Control of Energy Expenditure”, PI: Roberto Refinetti, April 2004 to March 2007
- NIH Area Grant, “Circadian Rhythms: Photic Sensitivity and Behavior”, PI: Roberto Refinetti, December 2002 to November 2005
- Research and Productive Scholarship Award, University of South Carolina, 2002
- NIH Area Grant, “Homeostasis and Circadian Rhythms”, PI: Roberto Refinetti, August 1996 to July 1999
- NSF Career Grant, “Homeostasis, Circadian Rhythmicity, and Behavior”, PI: Roberto Refinetti, September 1995 to August 1998
- NSF Instrumentation Grant, “Psychobiology Laboratory Improvement Program”, PI: Roberto Refinetti, co-PI: Eric L. Bradley, August 1994 to June 1996
- Summer Research Fellowship, College of William & Mary, 1994
- Summer Research Fellowship, College of William & Mary, 1993
- NIH National Research Service Award, Individual Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Virginia, 1991